Poverty has been a serious challenge to governments in Nigeria. Its effect, which includes lack and deprivation in the basic necessities of life, is worrisome. Poverty humiliates and dehumanizes its victim. Poverty itself is as old as the whole world. One of the Holy Scriptures even stated that “the poor shall never seize in your midst” (Holy Bible). To this end government and people in authority almost always strive to ensure that adequate structural programmes are enshrined to see that poverty if not eradicated, is reduced to the barest minimum. “Poverty has earned recognition in the extent of its ravaging society and the affairs of humanity at the international, national and local levels, the need exists now for urgent actions towards its eradication and control. Indeed, poverty is a snare. It is dehumanizing and it must be eradicated. The causes of this state of poverty in the country may be traced to the under-listed, among other factors:
• Bad governance
• Debt overhang
• Unemployment •
• Burgeoning population growth
• Unfocused government policies
• Lack of effective skills training
In a bid to overcome poverty of Nigeria, government has initiated different policies and structural programmes between 1977 till date. These programmes include:
· Directorate of Food, Roads and Rural Infrastructure (DFFRI)
· Better Life Programme (BLP)
· National Directorate of Employment (NDE)
· People’ Bank of Nigeria (PBN)
· Community Bank (CB); Family Support Programme (FSP)
· Family Economic Advancement Programme (FEAP)
· Poverty Eradication Programme (PEP)
· National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP)
· National Economic Empowerment Development Strategy (NEEDS).Their aims are to ameliorate the suffering of the people by providing them employment opportunities and access to credit facilities to enable them establish their own businesses.
So what can we do?
Business Breeder an organization established to combat poverty and unemployment by empowering people (especially youths) to be self employed through entrepreneurial skills. This organization will be embarking on a project called "SAVE-THE-YOUTH" where will set to empower young ones to be self reliant.
READ MORE AT www.bizbreeder.blogspot.com
FOR SPONSORSHIP OR VOLUNTEERING